I will proofread any finished document or manuscript and make a final quality check and tidy-up, looking for any minor errors which have slipped through the editing process. Using care, judgement and knowledge, my aim is to optimise your work. I only re-edit where absolutely necessary, endeavoring to minimise changes and limit impact on word count and layout.
My proofreading process includes:
- Consistency – usage and presentation, including text, punctuation, images/illustrations and layout
- Ambiguity and inconsistencies in text or narrative
- Check numbering and headings
- Check the table of contents against the document/manuscript contents
- Check or insert cross-references, where appropriate
- Eliminate inelegant or confusing word, column or page breaks – including ‘widows’ or ‘orphans’
- Ensure that illustrations, captions and labels correspond with each other and with the text
- Check that content looks right and is logically arranged
- Comparison to edited copy, if required
- Liaise with the author(s) to resolve queries or advise the client
I will follow style guides or notes provided, or can compile my own as I proofread your work.
I usually make corrections/suggestions directly on your document/manuscript using track changes, however I can also provide BSI mark-ups on paper copies if required.
I can work in either British or US English.